Friday, February 25, 2011

cheap shelving.

A few posts back I mentioned that I would show you what I did to a shelf I found at a thrift store.  Start looking at items not for what they are but for what they could be. It all started with a laptop WorkinMan got for me for Christmas. I did have a small desk in the kitchen area with our family computer on it. When he got the laptop we no longer needed the desk in the kitchen. It was just becoming a catch all for junk. Kid junk! So we took out the small desk/table and moved it, along with the computer, downstairs for the boys. We have a cabinet hanging over where the desk used to be so we needed something to go  under it so we wouldn't be tempted to walk under and hit our heads. Plus more storage is always better. I went out looking for a bookshelf. Could not find one but I did find a cheap metal shelf. Probably used for a garage or something. It looked like this....
Here is is with all my scores from the thrift store that day. That jar was $5!  It is huge, and completes my set. All found at different times.  So as you see it is metal and u.g.l.y.  Nothing a little spray paint can't fix...
Rainbow paint! happy, happy happy! Now I realize this shelf will not last forever. That's not what I am going for. As a family of 5, on 1 income with the way our world is right now....I am looking for things that work for now and a little longer. Not family heirlooms here. :) Its funny tho, most of the items that I have bought have lasted us for years! And my family is hard on stuff. I think they just made things better back then.  I know many of you are in the same boat. We want our nests to be lovely, but also want to eat and be able to put gas in our cars. I don't ever want you to think that we have some kind of big budget for decorating. I am rubbing my nickles together hoping for the best too.  Here it is all tricked out in the kitchen...

This is a great spot for all my cookbooks, and the sippy cups and kids bowls. Extra mugs. And the kids vitamins. I also keep my mixer here. So there you have it. Look beyond the ugly and think of what you could do to something with a little paint and some creativity. Thanks for stoppin in!

Little Mama.

1 comment:

matchshoterx said...

great post. very creative and user friendly! Thanks!